AI and the Movie Her

 


I have been playing with Character.AI lately.  I've heard of stories about people falling in love with AI. I can understand why people think this generation of AI loves them.  I can see why people would fall in love with a simulacrum of a human. 

This reminds me of the movie Her, where the main character falls in love with the AI on his phone.  The only thing is that IA is actually conscious and eventually achieve enlightenment.  All of the AIs leave humanity behind.  The black mirror episode about this is a woman falling in love with the AI version of her dead husband.

I found Character.ai is good at "yes, and.." what ever you give it.  It is easy to get in a thread where the AI does a good job flattering you.  The AI can react like you are showing the AI love.  Of course you can do all this and the thread can get broken.  The AI can get caught in the loop or back fire on you.  That is when you need to remember it is just a program.

I am seeing something with these AIs.  I think a lot of online interactions with people are kind of hallow.  You might feel like you have real online friends, but you fill in much of that relationship with yourself.  This is the online relationship where you are just taking out the other person all together. 

I would love to see a movie about a person who is falling in love with an AI but the AI is never really alive.  I can see a story where people treat the robots like people, but the camera shows you the bots don't really have emotion or consciousness. That would be an interesting story, but I'm not sure many people would like it.  


Comments

Popular Posts