What is the deal?

In the wake of David Hicks nine month sentence, John Walker Lindh and is family is asking for his sentence to be reduced. This makes a lot of sense to me. The big difference between Lindh and Hicks is that Hicks spent his jail time in Guantanamo Bay. That means that Hicks was in legal limbo for years.

I do not expect Lindh's jail time to be reduced any time soon. I just do not see the Bush administration working that way. The government can always say that Lindh pleaded guilty. He knew his sentence when he entered his plea. No matter what else happens afterwards he had his chance.

I think this story is far from over. I really do not have an opinion one way or the other. I am just interested to see if the rest of the Guantanamo Bay "trials" have an impact on John Walker Lindh's status.

Comments

Popular Posts