Knowing Deep Throat

It looks like we finally know that W. Mark Felt was Deep Throat. This is only the beginning of this story, not the end. It looks like we are looking at a couple of weeks of more questions being asked. On Countdown with Keith Oberman tonight John Dean asked if all the facts on Deep Throat match up. We will have stories for a while questioning if Felt could know everything that was attributed to Deep Throat.

Watergate has always been an odd saga in American History to me. It is strange for my generation because it has always been history. It is has always been something that we have had to view through the eyes of other people. It strange because it is a memory that is so important to people in the generation before mine. Teachers, Writers, Journalists, and politicians all see this as a major turning point in their world. I have heard so many strong options about this. I remember a teacher telling me that Watergate was the last straw with people ever respecting authority again.

It is strange to me because it never seemed current to me. I could never relate to what they saw in this event. I studied Watergate but I could never feel the context. I know it has to do with the 60's and the 70's changes in America. Since I have only lived in a Post-Watergate world, I think the world has always been this way.

I will say that I hate the suffix -gate. I feel that it is one more way the Baby Boomers can say that their time was the most important time ever.

Comments

Popular Posts