More On Pitching

Steve Carlton is one of my favorite pitchers of all times. I know that he has the reputation of being a disagreeable human being. As a player he hated the media. After his playing days he said some dumb things to the media. He has tried to rehabilitate himself in the mean time. That has been almost painful. He has no edge at all anymore. I have to give him a little leeway. Pitchers are a strange breed, left handers more so. A sportswriter once penned "hell is an island where everyone else is a goalie, a place kicker, or a left handed pitcher."

I just seen Carlton as a pitchers on the mound. He was the kind of pitcher that did not care who the hitter was, he was going to blow it by him. I watched him pitch some great games. I was between 6 and 12 when I watched him pitch on the Phillies. He was a great pitchers to watch when the game was all that mattered.

Carlton explains how he threw his slider. There used to be a joke about Carlton's Slider. Larry Christenson, another Phillies pitcher at the time asked Carlton how he got so much movement on his slider. Carlton said, "Put your finger along the seam and throw the shit out of the ball." Christenson sighed and commented that if he had Carlton's arm strength he would not worry at all about where to grip it.

Comments

Popular Posts