Lunch with Stephen

I had lunch with my friend Stephen today. I have worked with Stephen for 27 months and we have never had lunch together before. For a long time I would tease Stephen how busy he is at work. He is the kind of person you find sitting on the floor typing around on his laptop. I have always respected how much he does and how well he does it. Those two years do not sound like a long time, but they seem like forever in Silicon Valley time.

I have know Stephen the whole time I have worked at TiVo. He has always been someone I have liked, but we have never been closer the meeting friends. (Rich Thomas work dictionary, Meeting Friends: People who you make jokes with before or after meetings. They are higher then 'hi, who are you friends' but not as high as 'cubical friends') We had lunch because Stephen made my old web log a few weeks ago. Stephen suggested that we have lunch.

I learned some things about Stephen. I learned that he is an frustrated writer much like I am. He is an old comic book fan like myself. He faces the same kind of issues in his life being taken over by work. We talked about all these things. I got a kick out of the my big lie idea. I am going to have to start writing a novel next year. He told me he needs to publish a novel before he turns 40.

It was a great lunch. We had the right combination of talking about personal stuff, work past, and work future. He gave me some good insights. I feel that I can trust him from a work level. He has nothing to gain by misleading me. There are a lot of things I know now that make me feel a little bit better.

I have to keep on having these lunches with Stephen. I think it is a friendship that has a lot of potential. It is good to know the way other people view the world I live in everyday.

Comments

Popular Posts