A different place in my life.

 

I've been adding songs to a new biking playlist recently.  One of the songs I've added is Ana Ng.  In high school and college, I really loved They Might Be Giants.  The rhythm of Ana Ng is perfect for biking. 

This song reminds of a particular feeling that I no long have in my life.  The line "They don't need me here and I know you're there" just pops out to me.  This song is about not having a place yet.  You know where you are is not your place, but you don't know where your place it yet.  In your head, you turn a real place you've never been into a fictional place that is perfect for you.  You imagine the place where you belong.

I'm almost 50, and this song reminds me of the past.  I'm no longer in this point in my life.  I can remember the feeling of not knowing where I belonged, this was a slightly longer period in my life than many people.  For the last 20 years I feel that I've known where I belong.  

I think about these things all the time.  I still love songs that are not true about my life.  There are not a ton of great songs about being 50 years old with a stable life.  While I'm on by bike I am listening to a list of songs that are not true about me. 

"I don't want the world, I just want your half."     

Comments

Popular Posts