Rewatching Hill Street Blues

I heard someone say that the roots of current golden age of television started with Hill Street Blues.  It changed the way long term story lines were written for television.  It is easy to find TV reviewers who say all kinds of good things about Hill Street Blues. 

I have not watched it since it aired when I was a kid.  It was the kind of show I would stay up late to watch with my family.  I wanted to know what all the buzz was about, so I would seen downstairs or just avoid going to bed.  I watched it, but there is no way I understood it.  Even back then I could tell the dialog on the show was different. 

Watching it now. the show holds up well.  It is good to watch after having seen much more television and movies.  It is also good to know more about American history in context of this show.  The show started in the early 80s, but it is really about urban life in the late 70s.  It is a good example of how the fiction is slightly behind history.

I am interested in crime fiction from the 70s.  I am interested things like Judge Dredd and Heroes for Hire that started in the 70s and did not change for a long time after that.  I think you can learn about people worried about in the 70s from watching this.  If you want to reboot Deathwish, Dirty Harry, or Judge Dredd, you have to change what meanings and themes.  I think that is what people often forget.
I am happy that great TV shows don't get remade and rebooted the way movies do.  

Comments

Popular Posts