Not Our President Meme

There is something that really bothers me about the #NotMyPresident meme.  There are two things that really bothers me about this.  The first is a simple one.  I hate it when other side does it.  I think if the left does it now, it will only make it worse the next time the right does it.  It is the worst kind of political tit-for-tat.

It reminds me too much of the ideas of "here is real America and there is not." Too much of the idea that the cities are not America in the same way the rural areas are.  It is like the people that use the term "Fly Over Country" to refer to the middle of America.  It is too much us .v them for me.  

There is a bigger reason I don't like this meme.  It is because we don't come to terms with who we are.  We deny all the issues we should be dealing with.  I feel that many people thought America was a different place than it really is.  The truth is, the people that voted for Trump are just as much part of America as the people that voted for Clinton, and the people who didn't vote.

America has a lot of shit to deal with.  Deep shit that goes back years, years, and years.  When I was young I didn't understand that.  I didn't understand how close our history is to now.  I didn't understand how deep America's scars really are.  It was easy for me to misunderstand what motivated people because I was so young. 

It is easy to look at the people who voted for Donald Trump and say, "That is not the America I know."  I think that can easily be true.  It is easy to know no all of America.  I feel it is it is really hard to know all of America.  I think that is hard for people to admit how little they know of America as a whole.

I am not normalizing the election Donald Trump.  I am not saying he is just another politician.  I am not saying we should not be horrified it has got to this point and worried about what will happen next.  I am saying we should make sure that nothing gets by without response.  I am saying the fight is coming and we need to be ready.

Donald J Trump is the President Elect of the Untied States.  Donald J Trump is my President.  It destroys me in a way nothing else ever had.  When I think of people voting for Donald J Trump, ignoring all the shit that happened during the election, it makes me rage.  It is hard to believe all the white supremacist, anti-Semitic, misogynist, racist, anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, statements were not deal breakers for more Americans. The truth is if we want to make America the place it can be, we need to deal with the country it really is. 

Comments

Popular Posts