More ideas about the future of movies.

Theater Sign 

There are a lot of people talking about the future of movies.  I am surprised to see what Spielberg and Lucas are saying about the future of movies.  I was a little surprised to see this in the article. 

Lucas predicted that after that meltdown, “You’re going to end up with fewer theaters, bigger theaters with a lot of nice things. Going to the movies will cost 50 bucks or 100 or 150 bucks, like what Broadway costs today, or a football game. It’ll be an expensive thing. … (The movies) will sit in the theaters for a year, like a Broadway show does. That will be called the ‘movie’ business.”
While there is something wrong with the movie business, I doubt this will be the answer.  I can see movies getting more expensive. I can't see them as much as a football game or a musical ticket.  I do not think people will pay as much for a live event.  For one a live event is limited.  I will pay more for a concert because the artist will only be in my town for a night or two.  A music is a live event that I need to go to.

There are still movie houses all over the country.  A movie can be played up to 10 times a day.  On top of all that, the movie will eventually be on the home video market.  I am not sure I would pay a big premium to see that. 

I could see people paying $50 dollars for the movie if there are perks.  I could see early screenings going for a premium.  If I could see the Hunger Games sequel a week early, I could that being worth paying for.  If I got special merchandise included in that price, that would make it more worth it.  It is dangerous to get more money out of a smaller group of customers.  It leads to the problems like the problems with the comics industry. 

Kevin Smith has been known to take his movies on tour.  I could see playing extra for seeing the people in the movie live.  It would be cool to have an evening with the director or the movie star.  I am not sure George Lucas wants to go on that kind of tour. 

I could see a day when there are only 40 or even 30 wide release movies a world.  The movies are only in the theater for a few weeks.  The idea would be to get people to come out to the movie right away.  That would increase the scarcity that might get people to put money down on a movie.

This all being said, the reviews of Red Tails is the reason no one saw it, not because of changes in the movie industry. 

Further reading:
world war z tickets cost 50 dollars

 VOD ‘Definitely Not Offsetting Decline on DVD’

Comments

Popular Posts