The Other Wrestling Fans

I was sitting at lunch today reading Have A Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks by Mick Foley. One of my co-workers came in to the lunch room and commented how much he liked Mick Foley.  He told me that he used to be a big fan.  He said between 2000 and 2002 was his favorite time period. 

As we talked he told me his favorite wrestlers, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, The Hardy Boys, and most of all, The Rock.  He told me that him and his wife were both big fans of The Rock back in the day.  They even see all his movies now.  The Rock was his favorite.  He talked about going to Raw back in that time period. 

He is the fan the WWE is trying to draw back.  He has kids and has not watched in 10 years.  I also figured out the he is not the fan who is making podcasts or writing blog entries about wrestling.  He is not on twitter interacting with other wrestling fans.  He is still the guy the WWE is trying to reach.

I think we need to remember these fans when thinking about wrestling.  This lines up with the fans I saw when Raw came to San Jose.  I think this is what we need to remember when we ask us why the WWE makes a choice. 

Maybe if you are upset at the way the WWE is good booking stories, maybe the WWE is not to your taste.  Maybe they are not trying to appeal to you. 

Comments

Popular Posts