Thoughts on my Job Search

Today I start looking for a job in earnest. I was laid off last week, but it was not a good week to start looking for a job. There are too many people out of the office. It was too hard to get a hold of people. Now I have to start to really look.

Here is my list of things to do.

1. Resume Coaching

I have been offered to get some resume coaching by an HR executive. She is willing to review my resume and give me feedback. I think feedback like this is always good. I like feedback from two people recruiters and hiring managers. They know what they are looking for. The first tip she gave me is to make everything in the present tense. The second is to customize your resume for each job you apply for.

2. Getting the word out

Right after I got laid off I let my social networks know that I am looking for a job. The last four jobs I got were as a result of personal connection. Your work network is the best way to find a job.

3. Reach out to people

The next move is to reach out to people directly. You do not know who actually pays attention to Facebook or Twitter. I have made a list of the most important people to contact. I am going to start with my former managers, close co-workers, well connected friends, people that work at companies I want to work at, and on from there. Networking is the way to go.

4. Update Linked In

The best time about Linked In is that you can see the connections to the companies where you see job openings. This gives you a better chance to get your resume in front of the right person.

I know there are more steps, I will write about them later.

Comments

Popular Posts