9/11/01 to 9/11/10

Back in 2006 I said that the 9/11 attacks did not feel like the past yet. They still felt like part of the present. It felt like something that was happening, not that had happened. I told you I would let you know when it felt like the past. Now it feels like the past. I can feel some distance between myself and the 9/11 attacks.

One of the important ideas now about 9/11 is relativity. What feels in the past for me still feels like the present for a lot more people. I knew if I lived in New York my feelings would be different. I wonder how long it will be before 9/11 feels like the past to everyone. My guess is that people too young to remember 9/11 will need to graduate from college first.

I should not be surprised that 9/11 is still a major political force. I should not be surprised that the building on Ground Zero has not been opened yet. I should not be surprised that 9/11 is something that still drives people crazy. I don't want people to forget 9/11, but I want people to have more distance.

What I hate the most is people who use 9/11 just to make political points. I feel many of the people who have weighed in on the Islamic Center near Ground Zero just because it is good politics, not because it is how they sincerely think about it. I think that makes America worst, not better. They are poking their finger in the wound that still hurts.

In the end, there it too much to say about 9/11 and yet not enough to make a difference. Today is a day to remember he past. We must remember the people who lost their lives and who are still suffering. Lets take a day to pray and remember. Maybe that will bring it one more day closer to healing.

Comments

Lisa Eckstein said…
My mom pointed out that her students, who are 13, don't really remember 9/11 and certainly don't remember a time before. That made me feel like it happened longer ago than I usually think of it being.

Popular Posts