Another year, another "Novel" and I do mean "Novel"



This is the sixth year I have completed the challenge that is National Novel Writing Month. I have a hard time saying what I wrote is a novel. I am not sure there is enough conflict or dynamic characters for this to be a novel. I know that I did not finish the story. I wrote 50,000 words, but I would not inflict it on another human being. I know that Kate wants to read it, but I am not sure I want to be that mean to her.

NaNoWriMo 2008: Winner

I love doing National Novel Writing Month. In the past six year I have written some interesting scenes, but nothing that could really be the foundation of a novel. From writing I can see how far away from actually being able to write a novel. To become a better writer I would need to read more and to write on a more consistent basis. Both of those things end up being low on my priority list.

Writing a novel becomes something different for me. My goal is not to write something other people can read, but to explore my own imagination. As an adult is is hard to run around the play yard pretending you are a superhero. It is much more socially acceptable to write about having super power.

I am going to keep doing NaNoWriMo as long as I can. This time next year I will be married. Who knows if I will have time to do NaNoWriMo or not. I do want to do it. Some where in my head I tell myself I am going to pre-plan my novel and write something good. That is less likely.

Comments

Popular Posts