A good reason to not travel to Canada

It appears that Canada is working on a treaty that that will allow customs agents to search computer and iPods at the boarders looking for copyright infringing content. I was shocked when I first heard this. I know that I am crossing a boarder, but this sounds like a violation of basic rights. They do not need to be looking at my computer. I think this is outrageous. I understand that they can look through my luggage. My data feels more private. I do not want them looking at my files. It is like looking in my head.

This is really a reason for me to not go to Canada. How do they know what infringing data is? Are they going to use a search program? Are they going to have tools for this? What is going to happen if my disk is encrypted? Are they going to erase my disk. It just is a bad idea.

Comments

Popular Posts