Did you hear the one about the Magical School Headmaster

I heard that J.K. Rowling said that one of her characters was actually gay. I really do not care if Dumbledore or gay or not. It means nothing to me. I am not a big fan of the books and it does not change the way I see the work. I do not know what she is trying to prove by saying this, but it seems strange to say after the series is over.

As I see it, just because she says it, does not mean it is true. She could have seen him as gay the whole time, but that is not what is important. What is important is what is in the text. The text is kind of ambiguous about this. If she did not put it in the text, she cannot tell us what is true. She might have hinted at this in the text, but that is at the core of art. The reader gets to fill in the parts that are not in the text. The writer cannot change the meaning later. It just does not work that way. She is no longer in control of her story.

What upsets me is that she did not have Dumbledore come out to Harry when she had the chance. That would have been an amazing statement to make to the world. To me it looks like she was worried about how many copies book seven would sell. It would have been amazing for that to happen in book seven. Not it just seems cheap and desperate.

Comments

Popular Posts