Yahoo no longer trying to be all things to all web users

Yahoo announced that it is closing their auction site. According this this article it is getting killed in the space. My guess is that this has something to do with the Peanut Butter memo. I think it is a good move to get out of businesses you are not really competing in.

I am not sure getting rid of your photos business is the best move. I know that you also have flickr. It is possible that different users what different kinds of tools. I love flickr, but it does not seem to be about the same idea as yahoo photos. If you kill one tool for another, you might end up losing more users than money you are saving. I think making these two tools one business unit might work better than only having one tool.

I will admit that I do not know what all those additional resources could do for flickr. If all the photo resources go over there, you might be able to get something great. It will be interesting to see what happens at Yahoo.

Comments

Popular Posts