Arnold is trying to win the Lottery

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is looking at leasing the California lottery to a private company. I have not read any real answer of why he wants to do this. I really want to see a detailed plan to see where the money would go.

Is this a good idea? If the state had a lot of debt to pay off, this would be a good plan. If the state had some huge capital projects that there was no other way to fund, this would be a good idea. Other than that, this does not sound like a good plan. Gambling makes money. I am not sure why else we would want a middle man to come in and take some of the state's cut.

I have a hard time seeing this actually happen. I am not sure he will able to get the kind of support that would be needed to get this to pass. From the reports I have read about this so far, most people are scratching their heads of why the state would do this. It is not like the lottery has a reputation of being poorly run. I know there are a lot of fans of privatization out there. They think the state should not be in this kind of business, but I look at it from a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" point of view.

Comments

Popular Posts