The DVD Problem

I was walking around Best Buy the other day. Walking through the DVD section showed me how much buying an HDTV has changed my approach to home theater. I looked at the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD players. They are too much money to buy and I am worried about the outcome of the format battle. If I pick one now, I know it will lose.

I realize that means that I should not buy another DVD until the whole HD-DVD/HD Movie Download Service gets figured out. To be honest, I am not sure how this will be worked out.

People might wonder why would I care about this. There is a very good chance that any new DVD format would be backwards compatible. The problem is that everything Standard Defination even DVDs look pretty crappy on my TV. I really want to watch as much as I can in 1080i or 720p.

I would suggest that anyone who buys an HDTV just stick with Netflix. I do not think buying an HD-DVD player is worth it for anyone right now. I have a pile of unwatched DVDs as it is. I should watch those DVDs before I buy any new DVDs anyway.

I do realize that in another few years DVDs may be dead. We might be doing everything via download. I think there are still a lot of kinks that need to be worked out there.

Comments

Popular Posts