Invincible

I went to see Invincible. As soon as I heard about this movie I knew that I had to go see it. A feel good story about the Philadelphia Eagles, I was a mark for this movie from the very start. I have had a trend lately if I am not willing to see a movie the first weekend it is out, I am not willing to see the movie.

If you have not heard of the movie, it is the story of Vince Papale a thirty year old Philadelphia Eagles fan who made the team as part of an open try out in 1976. He ends up becoming one of the NFLs oldest rookie.

I was surprised at how good this movie was. The movie was wonderfully acted and amazing shot. The script was a little weak, but the way the movie was put together more than made up for it. There is a lot to like about this movie.

Working as both the director and the cinematographer Ericson Core created a wonderful set of worlds for this movie to take place in. Every setting in this movie has its own distinct look to it. The scenes in South Philadephia are dark and depressed. While all the scenes at football camp are bright. They shot the street scenes in Philadelphia. They really capture the tight cramped felling of South Philadelphia.

I was amazed then they showed the first actually NFL game Vince Papale played in. The depth of focus was very short. With all of the action in the shots it was every anxious. It was great that it looked so much different than the other scenes.

I was impressed by the acting. Vince's Friends were perfectly cast. They seem like guys really from South Philadelphia. Max's bar seems just right for South Philadelphia. All of the people around Vince seem to be falling apart under the economic problems of the time. Vince's life is not on stable ground also. I like the way the actors expressed this.

I love the acting of Kevin Conway as Frank Papale, Vince's father. It rung as very true to me. The guy who is close and distant from his son all at the same time. I feel like I know that guy. I love the scene when the father comes into the bar with his group of friends.

Since the movie is based on a true story, they do not over state how good Vince Papale is. He is just a special teams player. He did not need to be the Natural. He did not need to win the Super Bowl for the team. He just scored a touchdown to get Dick Vermeil his first win.

I was looking forward to it for months now. I saw an interview about the movie a few months ago. Mark Wahlberg, who plays Vince Papale, said that movie was passion for him. I think Mark Wahlberg is perfect for this movie. His journey to stardom is no less unbelievable than this movie.

Even if you don't like sports movies you might like this movie.

Comments

Popular Posts