Travel-Blogue: Side Trip


Portland Vacation: Mt. St. Helens
Originally uploaded by earthdog.

Since it was not raining on Tuesday I drove up to Mt. St. Helens. I have gone up there in the past, but I wanted to go up there again. The last two times I went I did not take very many photos. My sister Kathy has photos from one trip we took, but I do not conceder those my photos.

I also went up there because Mt. St. Helens has been very active lately. There have been steam plumbs and seismic activity over the past few years. I want to make sure I went up there again in case something happened. With all of the recent news about global warming, part of me thinks a volcanic eruption might be a good thing.

Tuesday turned out to be the perfect day to drive up there. I could not ask for better weather. There were hardly any clouds at all. It seemed like I could see forever.

The only thing I did not like was that the observatories were closed. They have been closed because of the activity. I did not get some of the photos I wanted to get because they were closed. I thought about sneaking over the gate at the Cold Water Ridge observatories, but I was not sure if that is a federal crime or not. I know Kathy would not be here to bail me out if I committed a federal crime.

It was still a good day for that trip. It was more driving. This seems to be a very driving vacation. That is not really a problem. Driving up to Mt. St. Helens is one of my favorite drives anywhere. It is not like a highway drive. It is a little more than an hour of the best scenery anywhere. If you come to Portland you should take the side trip to Mt. St. Helens.

Comments

Popular Posts