Gremlin


Gremlin
Originally uploaded by earthdog.

I took this photo on my way to work the other day. I took it because I do not see many Gremlins on the road anymore. I rarely see any AMCs at all. I know these cars were cheap in the 70s and not build to last. The Jeep is the only car make that survives from that company.

Over the weekend I wondered why Chrysler has not brought back the the Gremlin or the Pacer. I know that both of these cars were mocked a lot in their day. But these cars were also loved by many. They had the aesthetic of the outsider. I think this is something that could be marketed.

I know that a car company would miss some of what made these cars special as they updated them for modern drivers. That happened with the updated Mini and Beetle. In the end I think it would be better to update these cars then that die out once and for all.

I have always love small cars. I guess I have love them since I was a little kid. I remember being with my dad as he test drove the Chevette for the first time. I would love to see new life brought to these classics.

Comments

Popular Posts