Value of Journalism

With the five part series, Prosecutors over the line, the Mercury News is showing why newspapers are still important. I know that newspapers were falling apart now. They seem to have been falling apart my whole life. I know they are having a hard time competing with the web for ad dollars.

I have heard many futurists say that blogs are going to replace newspapers. All writers will be freelancers and we will be paying them directly. I am just worried that a story like this would never get written in that world. I am worry that no bloggers would be looking at this story.

I know that we are in a market place of ideas. If people are not willing to pay for a specific type of writing, we are not going to see it. If people do not read this story in the newspaper we are not going to see it either. I am worried about what a world without good local newspapers would be like.

Comments

Popular Posts