NaNoWriMo 2005

It is October already. I am not sure where the year has gone, but it went somewhere. That means National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is just around the corner. It is not that I have not been thinking about Nanowrimo. I have been thinking about it. I have half an idea what I will be writing.

Today it just struck me what I am going to be trying to do. I will be back in Philadelphia for almost half of November. I cannot go to see my family and spend the whole time with my head in a computer. My family will get really upset if I keep on going off to write-ins with people I do not even know.

I figure that I need to have some where around 40,000 words written before I leave to see my family. Okay, I can write 40,000 word in 15 days. That is hard, but not impossible. Over the last two Nanowrimos I have kept a pace of 800 words an hour. That is 50 hours of writing in 15 days. That would make have me write about 3.5 hours a day.

I am not sure Dreamgirl wants to share me with my novel. On some level my novel feels like a mistress. It feels like I am cheating on the rest of my life writing it. Last year I had a lot of work to do and I had to steal time just to write my novel. I am wondering if I will feel that way this year with Dreamgirl and my family.

Last year my novel was really bad. I never caught the idea that would make my novel readable. I had an idea for a story that I could not find the truth about. The title was catchy, but that does not mean anything. I could never find the writing that would make my idea special.

My first Nanowrimo was pretty easy for me. I started doing Nanowrimo because I have a lot of free time. I was a kite without a string. No one had any demands on my time but me. I could spend my hours however I wanted. My first year I spend whole weekends doing nothing but writing. I do not think I will be able to do that this year.

Who knows how this Nanowrimo will go? I do it for the journey, not for the result. As long as I have a good time any outcome is acceptable. I am just going to try to make as many of the parties as I can.

Comments

Popular Posts