Juiced baseballs

When I was in high school a friend did his science fair project on baseballs being juiced. Back in 1987 that is why we thought home runs were on the rise. Now we are worried about the ball players being juiced.

Today Rafael Palmeiro was suspended for steroids. He is the first big name player to be caught under the steroid testing that was enacted this year. He will be serving a 10 day suppendition for the violation.

Before today Rafael Palmeiro was a sure bet, first ballot, Hall of Famer. He has the golden tickets of 3000 hits and 500 home runs. He is one of only four players who has both. He has never been an MVP, only a four time all-star, but he has some of the best hitting stats in the game.

Rafael Palmeiro was named in Jose Canseco's book Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant `Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big. Jose Canseco wrote that he brought steroids to the Texas Rangers when he came from Oakland. That is one of the reason Rafael Palmeiro was testify to congress a few months ago. He told Congress, "I have never used steroids. Period."

It will be interesting to see what will happen. Will the Hall Of Fame voters keep Rafael Palmeiro out when he is eligible? Will there be backlash? Will he be able to explain what happened in a way that will satisfy the baseball community?

Ryan Sandberg made reference to steroids in his Hall Of Fame Induction Speech. It sounds like lots of old-timers are unhappy to see their records fall to people who might be on steroids. Can the office of the commissioner come out and go anything about all this? Will the 90's and 00's records have a taint on them because of whispers of steroids?

I want to be clear to all the sports writers out there. I care about steroids. I care if the players are juiced. I care if the playing field is even or tilted. I do not want to pay my money to see guys who are taking drugs. I care about how fair the game is. If I did not care I would go to see the WWE and not the SF Giants.

Being a baseball fan just got more interesting for all the wrong reasons.

Comments

Popular Posts