Single Time

On Sunday I saw something in the Mercury News that made me think of Ealasaid. She posted an entry about people saying when you have kids... to her. The Mercury News ran an article about the discrimination about single people. People who are single face issues that married people do not. It was not a very interesting story. It was filled with cliches like "single people are asked to work late more often" and "singles are often made sit at the kids table." I felt like the writer just phoned this one in.

When people ask me about marriage and children I take away a differen message then Ealasaid or the article. People ask with subtext of "who is going to be there for you when you are elderly?" They give me a clear message that without kids now, there will be no one to take care of me when I need it. There is no one you can count on like family and they see I will have no one to count on.

I guess everyone takes a different message out of the statement "when you start a family..."

Comments

Popular Posts