A Musical Baton

Elke Passed this along to me. She knows that I am always happy to talk about music. She will do anything to get me to write about something besides baseball.

Total volume of music files on my computer
167.16 GB. 37895 Songs. 104 Days. I bought this desktop computer so I could have all my music in one place without extra drives. I have another 50 GBs or so before this drive is filled up.

The last CD I bought
This might sound like an easy question to answer, but it is not. I think I have to try to get down to the root of this question.

Last album downloaded from eMusic - Arcade Fire - Funeral. I am a big fan of using eMusic as a complement to the iTunes Music Store.

Physical CD, Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman. It was in Duel Disk format and I wrote about using that format.

Last actual CD meeting the Philips Red Book standard, Moby - Hotel. Lately my life has felt like this album.

Song playing right now
Coincidence? I think not ... The Manic Street Preachers, "I Live To Fall Asleep", which I got from Buzz. Thanks again! It really does help.

Five songs I listen to a lot, or mean a lot to me
To get some idea about this you can check out my Audioscrobbler profile.


  • Diane Cluck - Touch Deprivation
    My words cannot do Diane Cluck's songs justice. I started to listen to her early in 2004. I have been listening to her albums all the time for the past 17 months. Her songs get into my head and will not let go. The song is about how language is no longer enough for the singer. She wishes to abandon words and let communicate through touch. That is such a strong idea to me.
  • The Mountain Goats - Source Decay
    Few songs capture the idea of missing someone and being stuck because of it like Source Decay does. I feel like the singer with a broken heart when I hear this song. I am amazed that a song can still make me feel this way.

    i wish the west texas highway
    was a mobius strip
    i could ride it out forever
    when i feel my heart break
    i almost swear I hear it happen
    is the clear and that hard

  • Wilco - i am trying to break your heart
    This song reminds me what it means to be a Philadelphia sports fan. I have seen my teams lose more championships then I have seen them win. I have seen them play so well for so long and then lose in the end. I have been teased with the chance of success. It would not be as bad if they just sucked all the time.
  • Jeff Mangum - My Dreamgirl Don't Exist
    I love Jeff Mangum because he could not become a rock star. He made one of the greatest albums ever and that broke him. There is something about this idea that interests me. My Dreamgirl Don't Exist is one of the songs that did not make the cut for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. There is something about never meeting the person you were meant that strikes my heart. You can download this song from the Elephant Six website.
  • Decemberists - California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade
    I am a sucker for long sprawling songs. This song is like a landscape. It is over nine minutes long and I wish it was longer. I know it is really two songs without a break, but that does not matter. When I hear this song I think of my trip to Europe and my last few years living in the Bay Area. I try not to attach meaning to songs, but really good songs always defeat that intent.

    i figured i'd paid my debt to society
    by paying my overdue fines at the multnomah county library, at the library 
  •  
  • Album You Must Hear From Start to Finish:

    Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner
  • Comments

    Popular Posts