Dual Disc Review

I recently purchased the new Ben Folds CD. I bought it on the DualDisc format. People have been trying to save the audio disk format for a few years now. Companies have been trying to introduce new formats like SACD and DVD-Audio. The idea would be make a higher quality product then can be downloaded from the internet. SACD and DVD-Audio did not catch on. It is hard for people to see why they are really useful. For both formats people had to buy new equipment. The other problem is that record companies were charging $20-30 for these new formats. I am not sure if any record companies are still using these formats.

DualDisk is the latest format that record companies have try to spring on our. The audio is on the CD side. On the DVD side there is video and the audio mixed into surround sound. The idea is that they want to make it worth it for people to actually buy the disc. The idea is that these features might keep people from sharing content. They think people really want these video clips, but they do not include the Videos for the songs.

There was a disclaimer on the disc.

The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc.


I saw this disclaimer because I was looking for it. I wanted to know what I was getting into. Seeing the disclaimer I knew that I was putting my $11.95 (on sale at Best Buy) at risk. I am happy the record company is letting me know what I am getting into up front.

There are three important things I need to be able to do with this disk. I need to be able to make a copy for my car, rip it with iTunes (G5 tower superdrive), and play it on my iPod. I am happy to say that I was able to do all three of these things. I had no problem playing it with Windows Media Player 10 on my work computer either.

I have not had any problems with the format. The disk is thicker then a regular CD. I made a copy so I would not have to mess with trying to sick the disc into a front loading player, like the one in my car. It has worked well for me but I am reading other people are having problems.

Since I did not have any problems, I will buy more Dual Discs in the future. Since other people has problems I will have to go though the tests everytime I buy one.

I am not really sure that this is what the public is clammering for. I am a big Ben Folds fan, but the extra video was not all that interesting. I do not think it will do much to extend the life of CDs. Behind the scenes video of making records is not as interesting as behind the scenes of video of making movie.

The Dual Disc format is not the killer app that will keep CDs alive.

Comments

Popular Posts