The Stare

I am in a coffee shop right now. I am trying not to stare at a woman in a Hijab. I am worried that she will think the wrong thing about me staring. I am worried that she will think that I am staring because I disapprove of her or that I think there is something wrong with her. That is not it at all.

I stare because I really want to know her story. I think that I will be able to learn something about her body language. I think that I will get insight to the way she interacts with the world.

I really want to go up to her and ask her questions. I wan to ask her about her religion and her faith. I want to ask her about her experiences and thoughts of America. I want to ask her about what choices she makes when it comes to interacting with the world.

The problem is that I think going up and asking a stranger these questions would be too intrusive. I worry that she would react like I am some kind of freak weirdo. If she thinks this I will not get her real answers to these questions. So instead I will just try not to stare and leave it at that.

Comments

Popular Posts