California One Youth and Beauty Brigade

I went to see the Decemberists last week in San Francisco. It was a really good show. They put on a good live show. There were three ideas that I walked away with.

The new Decemberists album, Picaresque came out the day before concert. My guess is that most of the people there had not heard the album yet. They did a really good job playing songs that most of the audience had never heard before. I think most of the crowd left that show wanting to buy the new album. I have seen a lot of bands fail trying to do this in the past.

One of the things that attract me to the Decemberists is the way they use European folk melodies. They use the melodies with reverence without being constrained by them. I think this is a key point to their sound. I think this has a good deal with what attracts me to them.

The last thing is that the I learned was that the Decemberists are really good performers. I know a lot of people who like the Decemberists but do not like there EP, The Tain. It is an 18 minute long song that takes indie rock and hangs around Prog Rock and early heavy metal. Some times I feel that I am the only one of my friends who like it. Seeing it played live was great. It showed me that it is a real performance piece. Seeing it live helped me see the ideas behind the piece.

Comments

Popular Posts