Plan B

This week This American Life was about Plan B. It is the idea that most people are not living the life they planned. Most people have to go to their backup plan. Most likely people live the life that presents itself when they are trying to get to Plan A. At some point these people realize that they are not going to get to Plan A. At that point thy go to Plan B.

I am not sure what plan I am on right now. My guess is that I am on at least Plan C or Plan D by now. I can see that I am not living the life that I envisioned when I was 18 or 22. I never thought I would end up here, doing this. I realized two things when I was listening to this show.

1. I work with a bunch of engineers. Most of them are on Plan A. They might not have foreseen what kind of projects they would be working on, but most of them has known their whole life that they wanted to be computer programmer. Being around so many Plan A people gives a distorted view of the world. You feel that everyone else has always had everything figured out. It makes you doubt your place in the world.

2. Most of my close friends are Plan B people. I am not sure why this is. If I look at the people I am close to, they are all living life that they had not envisioned for themselves. We are not living out our dreams. Many of us are still trying to figure out what we really want to be doing. I think it might have something to do with why I am friends with them.

Comments

Popular Posts