Why Do NaNoWriMo?

People might as me why I am willing to do Nation Novel Writing Month. I think I have two reasons why I think NaNoWriMo is really important. The first has to do with an idea that Jeremy put into my head. It seems that we have left almost all art up to professionals. I think that is dangerous. In the end it will make all art entertainment. I think that art is more then just entertainment.

Amateur


I know there are pros and would be pros out there doing this. I have nothing against them. I feel honored to be in a writing group with them. I want to stick up for us amateurs. For me it is the amateurs that make NaNoWriMo special. There are other reasons people do Nano then wanting to be a professional writer.

I feel that if we leave art to professionals then it becomes entertainment. I want common people to take back art. We should be encouraging amateurism. The root of amateur comes from "lover of" . It is us amateur writers who want to read the stuff pros want to get paid for.

It does not matter if it is not any good or not. I am doing this for truly selfish reasons. I am doing it because I get to meet cool people, sit around in coffee shops and write, push myself to do something I would otherwise never do.

I write so my head does not explode. I write because if I did not, I would drown in my own thoughts. I write because it makes me who I am. For these reasons and any others they can come up with, people should do Nano.

He might be right, many good writers might never be able to turn a Nano novel into a publishable novel. I do not agree that they should not do it at all. The more you write the better writer you become. Even if you write things that will never see the light of day, it still adds to your experiences writing. I do not see that as a bad thing.

Comments

Popular Posts