Arranged Marriages In America

I have been thinking of ideas for my NaNoWriMo novel. One idea has brought up this questions. Could someone like me have an arranged marriage in America today? By someone like me, I mean someone who is White, non-praticing catholic, who is not being pushed into this by his family. I am pretty sure if I was Jewish or Muslim I could find someone to arrange a marriage for me. If I was Indian, Pakistani or from a number of other countries I could have an arranged marriage. There are a number of other American subcultures where arranged marriages are taking place, but I am not sure you can just join them.

I know that a lot of people would point me toward mail order brides as a form of arranged marriage. I do not think that is the same thing. I see mail order brides as transactional relationships. The woman will give the man a relationship if the man will bring her to the United States.

I am not sure what an arranged marriage would be about in the American culture. I am not sure who would be taking part of arranged marriages in America. If arranged marriages are happening in mainstream America I want to know who these people are. I think there is at least one novel that could be written about this.

Does anyone reading this know anyone who has been in an arranged marriage?

Comments

Popular Posts