Olympics Blues

I used to be a big fan of the Olympics. One of my first TV memories was watching Bruce Jenner win the decathlon. I bugged my sister for weeks to get me the Bruce Jenner haircut. The haircut turned out to look more like Peggy Flemming, but that is besides the point. I grew up loving the Olympics

Now the Olympics do not feel as special as they used to be. If I see them or not,they are just another sporting event. I am not sure why the Olympics seem less important then they used to. I am not sure if it is because there is no Cold War, all the athletes are professionals, or because there is just more media then their used to be.

I think the way NBC covers the Olympics has something to do with it. I cannot stand the way they cut between pre-tapped events. We know the 100 meter happened six hours ago. Show all the preliminarys and the finals all at once. Don't make me wait through sports I could care less about. I miss more finals because of this. I know it is not a live event, don't try to air it like it is.

I wonder if I have been spoiled by going to the Olympics. It is hard to watch because it does not compare to being there. I hope I get the chance to go to one again sometime soon.

Comments

Popular Posts