Interview Meme

I have been meaning to post this for months. What I know, is that I should do things that I have been putting off. Jeremy I am sorry for not doing this sooner.

disclaimer: Written March 2004. These answers might not be true now.

1) If a magazine assigned you to write 10,000 words on a "great American album," which album would you choose? What do you think is the key song on that album?

I think I would pick Ben Folds Five, the Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner. This album has a great sense of the lethargic nature of the 90s. It is the perfect way to end a decade that had Generation X and Nirvana. The album details a lack of direction that I saw all around me.

I think that Don't Change Your Plans for Me is the key song on this album. It explores the connection between relationship and place in the world.

2) If you had to move to a city or town at least 50 miles from a city you had ever lived in before, which would you choose, and why?

I am going to give two answers to this question. If it could be anywhere in the world, I would move to Prague. It is a beautiful city. I think there is something about being a foreigner and an ex-patriot that really suits me. I feel like an outsider most places I go. I think it would only strengthen me to have language as another barrier.

Inside of the U.S. I think that City would Seattle. There is still some West Coast in me for now. I would like to see if my current ideas about Seattle are right. I want to know what I would find there. All the time I feel like I want to move. There is so much in America. I cannot see how people would not want to live everywhere.

3) What do you feel like you learned from playing high school sports?

I learned how diverse people are. People have an idea of what it means to be a 'Jock.' I learned that people are not always what you would expect. Even in the Football players there were people you could trust and people you could not. There was a pecking order there like the rest of high school.

It taught me that if I wanted to get where I wanted to be in life, I would have to deal with all sorts of people. You have to figure out how to have relationship with them. Some of them are not going to like you, but you still have to find ways to deal with them.

4) What do you think happens after we die?

I have no real idea what happens when we die. I think that we will be responsible for our actions in our life. I think our actions against other people will be at the top of the list. I think we will also be responsible for other actions. We will be judged for the things we have done.

I say this, but I do not believe in a fire and brimstone God. I believe in a God of compassion. I do not think people will be cast into the pit of fire for no redemption. I think people

I think that in the next life we will have different things we need to achieve. I do not like the idea that we are just sitting around doing nothing basking in paradise. It does not fit with my view of God.


5) In your opinion, what do you see as the strong and/or weak points of the National Security Strategy, aka the Bush Doctrine?

I am not sure when preemptive war got labeled as the Bush Doctrine. There are two major weak points. The first is that you lose the support of other powerful nations. Those nations are opposed to us taking action for all sorts of reasons, but with preemptive war they are give a clear moral reason to stand against us. They can hide the interests they are protecting. They can make claims that we should work harder to diplomatic solutions and they do not have to worry about us holding their feet to the fire.

The second weak point is that it is easy for United States' enemies to turn us to a boogie man. With preemptive war it is easy to make everyday people that our country is picking on other countries. It is easy to make the populous think that they are going to be next. I think that this can have a long term effect that it is hard to gauge. In the long term it might cause it more problem.

I think there are also strong points. No nation in the world is willing to play chicken with the bush administration. Everyone know that the Bush administration means what it says.

We also know more about the illegal nuclear arms market that we ever did before. I think that we would have never got Qadhafi to give up Libya's nuclear program if it was not for the war in Iraq. We also learned that it was the father of the Pakistani nuclear program that was supplying people with the technology.

Here are the rules to the Interview game

Official Rules
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment saying, "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions

Comments

Popular Posts