California Disconnect

My mother send me this in an e-mail:

It's time to reevaluate our involvement.

Every day there are news reports about more deaths. Every night on the TV are photos of death and destruction.. Why are we still there?

We occupied this land, which we had to take by force, but it causes us nothing but trouble. Why are we still there?

Their government is unstable, and they have no leadership. Why are we still there?

Many of their people are uncivilized. Why are we still there?

There are more than 1000 religious sects, which we don't understand. Why are we still there?

We can't even secure the borders. Why are we still there?

They are billions of dollars in debt and it will cost billions more to rebuild, which we can't afford. Why are we still there?

It is becoming clear...............

We must abandon California.


I know that she was just trying to tease me. She was having fun at my expense. This makes me think of a larger disconnect between California and the rest of the country. I have been living out here for about four and a half years. Most of my friends have been out here longer. I hear so many of them complain about the rest of the country reacts to politics.

The bay area is so far left of the rest of the country it is hard to believe. At least the people who are politically loud here are far left of everyone else. It is possible that people who are conservative here sensor themselves to not be ridiculed. I think there are lots of closet conservatives fearful of being seen as hateful if they showed their true colors.

What ends up happening is that someone that is centrist here turns out being liberal in the rest of the country. There becomes a political distortion. People do not realize they are living in an area with different values then most of America. That is what makes everyone look at us funny and vis-a-versa.

I can tell you that I am politically left of where I was when I moved here. I still think I am a centrist. I would how it will impact me when I leave here.

Comments

Popular Posts