Travel Notes: Thoughts on Greece

- We went to the ruins of the ancient Olympics. I learned many things that I did not know about. It was not a great experience, it was just okay. After a few minutes it just looked like a pile of old rocks to me. It was cool to find out there were no seats in the original Olympic stadium. They just sat on the side of a hill. They also did not run in an oval like we do today. When they wanted to run more then on length of the stadium, they had to run it like a shuttle race.



-The best part of the tour was the tour guide. He was a guy in his 50s or 60s. He was really funny. You could tell that he took a lot of pride in the history. He felt connected to it. I am finding that when the tour guide has pride, it really has an effect on the tour.





-I learned today that only 169 of the 3000 major Greek islands are inhabited. In ancient times more of the islands were inhabited. In the modern age it is just easier for people to live closer together. I guess it is really expensive for people to have everything shipped to their Island. There are only 11 million people living in Greece. With A number like that I can understand why people are not so spread out.

-I picked up a little statue for Armando. He was bugging me to smuggle something out of Europe for him. I just decided to buy a little 8 Euro figurine. I think that he will get a kick out of it. There were a lot of people buying actual jewelry there. I would never think about buying those kinds of things on vacation. It seems like lot of people do buy things on vacation. I know I am not a jewelry person. I guess lots of people try to take advantage of that $1000 Duty Free limit

The Islands

List of Greek Islands on our trip, Santorini, Rhoads, Mykonos

Of the islands we have stopped at I have liked Santorini the best. I was only there for a little while. It still was very beautiful. All of the villages on Santorini are on ridges a few hundreds of feet above sea level. It is one of those places that is so beautiful. It just took my breath away. Everywhere I looked was incredible.

This is one of those places where I could just sit and relax. If I went back, I would take a few time and just hand out. I would go sit in the cafes, go to the beaches, and just be. That is what I call a vacation. How knows how long it will take for me to get back there?






Comments

Popular Posts