I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Yesterday I went to see R.E.M. and Wilco at the Shoreline Amphitheatre. It is the first concert I have seen there. The sound is really good. The sight lines are okay but I had a hard time seeing the stage. I was toward the end of the seated area.

I was really happy to see Wilco open for R.E.M. This was a great combo of a show. I really wanted to see both bands. I felt happy that I am in one of the tour stops where this was the line up.

Wilco did a very good opening show. They put together a very straight ahead set. The first four songs covered their first four albums. They played a decent amount from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It was cool to see them play some of these songs live. The songs were not too much different from the album, just enough to make them interesting.

I talked with Cool Eric about the difference between an opening act and a headliner. An opening act just need to do a solid show. The opening act does not have to put any kind of theme to their show the way a headliner should. You have different objectives.

The R.E.M. show was cool, but it lacked something. Here you can find the set list for the Shoreline show. They started the show well. The rocked out a little at the beginning. They had real energy when the played.

At the show continued, R.E.M. did not do anything to make the show special. The live versions of there shows were not that interesting. They had a couple of really cool songs, but there was nothing that tied the songs together. It seemed like Peter Buck was only playing during the parts where he had strong guitar parts. It was like he played no rhythm at all.

It is not like there was anything wrong with the show, there was just not enough right about it. R.E.M. is a band that should be able to blow my socks off. I am just a little upset that they did not. I do not go to that many shows. I want the shows to be really good when I buck up for them.

Comments

Popular Posts