Power outage in New York - Afterthoughts

I have been thinking about the power outage in the Northeast. I have been thinking about New York most of all. I can remember the aftermath of the power outage in 1977. This time was really different.

New Yorkers responded ``in an extraordinary manner'' and will ``probably look back on this with a smile on our face,'' Bloomberg said earlier in his weekly radio program on WABC-AM. The city experienced none of the looting that marked a July 1977 blackout that lasted 25 hours, Bloomberg noted

There has been a lot of talk about 9-11 and Mayor's Leadership in the power crisis. I think there is a 9-11 effect here, but it does not have to do with the leadership, but the citizens.

I think that New Yorkers have more ownership of New York City now. They have seen as bad as it has ever been in the city. They have decided that the future will be different. They have shown us they will pull together when something happens. I think this is a great thing for not only New York, but all of America. We are treating each other like we always should have.

Most of my friends here, San Jose and San Francisco are very jaded. We feel that we are really far away from the events that changed New York. I am not sure that same feeling would be happening out here if something happened. Someone even told me he hoped it was a terrorist attack. I wonder if this is a sign of a really large rift in our country.

Comments

Popular Posts