Interview Game Meme - Answers

Here are the question from Angela-la-la

1. You've been living on the West Coast for a few years now. Do you think of yourself as an Easterner or a Californian? What parts of the "West Coast mentality" have you adopted/rejected?

I still think of myself as a East Coaster. I have not accepted that California is where I will try to settle down. Yes I am 31 and I feel that I have not settled down yet. I have an easy time seeing myself moving back east or moving to another city.

In the "West Coast mentality" I have rejected being a weather wimp, thinking that I am living in the center of the universe, and the fake niceness. I think I have adapted the Silicon Valley work mentality, the joy of driving everywhere, and the feeling that someday my ship will come in.

2. Do you still consider yourself Catholic? How so?

When I was young, sometime in junior high, I was told that Catholics are Catholics until they join something else. I did not understand that at the time, but I understand it now. Just stopping going to church is not enough for you to no longer be Catholic. I do not belong to a church. I have not gone to a church without family since my early days in Portland. There is a church right down the street from my apartment but I still do not go.

Even with all that, I still feel Catholic. I just feel that I am a bad Catholic. I think that so much of my feelings about things are informed by my Catholic upbringing. While there are lots of worldly ideas that I do not agree with the church standing, I think that the way I approach those issues has been impacted by what I learned from the church.

I also find that I have a lot in common with other Catholics. I know a lot of people who are Catholic or raised Catholic. There are a lot of common experiences we share. There is a group of people I know who disagree with the Vatican, but still think the church is important. I feel close to this group of people. That is close to my point of view.

My crisis with the church is all spiritual and has nothing to do with politics. I do not feel the presence of God in my life. That makes going to church a very hard thing. I really do believe in God, but I do not feel God in my heart. It is hard to kneel and pray when you do not feel God in your heart. I have looked at other religions, but the ones I am drawn to seem to also push me away.

For right now, I can live this way. I can live with my current relationship with God. I can think about my problems with spirituality and life with little problem. I can think about other religions and wonder if they are correct. The problem comes if I get married and have children. I know that I will want my children to attend church. That is the time I will have to figure out if I am still Catholic or not. That is the point where this might be an issue.

3. How do you feel about guns? Do you / would you own one?

I feel that people should have the right to own guns. I feel that it is an important right in America. I am not sure getting rid of guns would have that much of an effect on American culture. I feel that if you got rid of the Second Amendment, I would want to cops to give up their guns also. I know that would never happen.

I think that gun violence is over sold in America. I think that our violence is deeper then our love of guns. We hear about gun violence in the media because it is more flashy. It is easy for people to get upset about gun violence. There are lots of murders with knives, fists, or any object.

I do not own a gun. I have thought about buying a gun, but I have ended up not every time. I know the statistics and I know that I am more likely to die from gun violence if I own a gun. I am afraid that I wound end up dying from some stupid gun accident. It might be a little different if I owned a house. I would be more secure about owning one.

If I did own a gun, I would want to buy a Colt .45 model 1911. I would want a gun that would stop anyone.

4. What qualities are important to you in a mate? Is this different from 10 or 15 years ago?

I have to love her. This might sound like a default, but I think lots of people get married without being in love. They think that love will grow. I want to be deeply in love with my mate. To be in love, I would need an interlectually connection with her. She would need to know why there are always so many ideas flying around my head. She would have to understand why I have very few yes or no answers.

After that she needs to be understanding. I feel that I have a decent about of baggage that I will be bringing with me. She will have to deal with those things.

Besides that I am not sure what I am looking for. I think I am looking for less then I was 10 years ago. Part of me thinks that I have never looked for a mate. I have not had enough relationships that have developed that much. Most of my relations are in the level of trying to build something small. They have not progressed to the level of the larger questions.

5. If you were randomly selected to serve as governor after the recall election, what would your major platforms be? Who would you choose as advisors?

I do not want to rehash too much of what I wrote in the last interview. In short I would work to end the death penalty, reform three strikes, legalize and tax marijuana, and reform property tax. I think that we need to do these things and not make it hard for business to stay here. I would also support gay marriage, but I think it would have to be decided on the ballet.

I like having Warren Buffet as an adviser. I am not sure after that. I might pick Bill Maher so he can prove if he has a clue or not.

The Rules

1. You want to participate, leave a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Comments

Popular Posts