Children and Kids

Most of my close friends do not have kids. Maybe it is that idea when people have kids, they have different goals. Many of my friends have openly expressed that they never what to have kids. It seems to be one of those ideas that bind us.

Today I read in the magazine section of the San Francisco Chronicle there is an expert from a book about selfish children. The book, The Epidemic: The Rot of American Culture, Absentee and Permissive Parenting, and the Resultant Plague of Joyless, Selfish Children, talk about the problems of how many children are being raised. It seems to be the biggest problem is that children are not ready to face the world. They cannot handle the challenges that face them in the real world.

The things that parents and children have a hard time with, discipline, authority, control, and focus are things that my friends have rejected. These are all things that we think we can do without in our lives. I wonder if this has any part with the problem raising kids. I wonder if this is why we do not want to raise kids.

I am 31 years old right now. I figure that I have to be married by the time I am 35 to have kids. On the way I am going, I do not expect this to happen. I read about raising children as more of a social idea then an idea I will have to deal with specifically.

Comments

Popular Posts