Travel Notes 7/8/03

Covert Trip

I am traveling back to Philadelphia. My goal is to surprise my Mother for her birthday. I talked to her on the phone last Wednesday. She sounded sad that I was not going to be there for her birthday. Everyone else is going to be there, even my brother who lives in Germany. I know that my mom really wanted to see all of her children and grandchildren together.

Now I am going to catch a flight that will arrive in New York at 5:30 in the morning. I will hang with the family for a few days. I will spend all the time with them. I will be back to San Jose before the weekend. Thank goodness for low dollar fares and red-eye flights. I just hope that nothing will screw this up.

Airport

Airport is a very American word. Airport has that ring of a word that was on a list and the marketing department chose the best one. It just seems like the kind of word an American would come up with. It is the kind of word that people in other languages just adopt.

I wonder what other worlds competed with Airport when that world started. It is the same idea as jeans and dungarees. What other terms did people come up with? The British called it an aerodrome until after World War II. I wonder if there is any way to figure this out. I wonder if there are any words better then airport out there.

High Speed

It cost $7 to access the wireless broadband at the Oakland Airport. It is really not worth it. I am only going to be here for the next 45 minutes. It looks like I will have to wait a while before I publish this.

Flight Mix

Wilco - Dash 7
Netural Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Pavement - Hit the Plane Down
Microphone - I'll Be In The Air
Dead Milkmen - Air Crash Museum
R.E.M - You're In The Air
Richard Thompson - Jet Plane In A Rocking Chair
Talvin Singh - Flight IC408
Jets To Brazil - Air Traffic Control
Ben Folds Five - Air
This Flight Tonight - Joni Mitchell
Meryn Cadell - Flight Attendant

Comments

Popular Posts