Gay Marriage

The President has taken a stand against gay marriage. I knew that he would take this stand, but I think it is a shame.

In the United States marriage is a civil construct. It is not a religious construct. The difference is that you can have a religious marriage without having a civil one. If I had a mate, we could have a marriage ceremony of the religion of our choosing. We cannot tell if God recognized gay marriage or not.

With the first amendment being the law of the land, I think we have to disconnect religious concerns from political concerns. I think that you cannot stand in front of gay marriage because your religion says it is wrong. Other religions might allow it.

This issue is really about giving all citizens the same rights. It is about letting people live their lives as they see fit and not letting government get in the way. It is about people getting the legal protection of marriage. I see no problems with those things.

Comments

Popular Posts