Douglas Coupland, Killer Flu, and the End of the world

I will admit that the story of the killer Asian Flu. It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

In the early 1990's I read a lot of Douglas Coupland books. In a lot of his books there is an end of the world theme. Just look at Generation X, Life After God, Shampoo Planet, and Girlfriend in the Coma. It makes me think that he (and a lot of people) wants to be around at the end of the world. If you are here at the end of the world, you are not going to miss anything when you die. There is no one to survive you. It is like getting to the end of a video game. Since you are going to die sometime, it might as well be at the end of the world.

All this said, I think I am not lucky enough to be here when the world ends ;-)

Comments

Popular Posts