Travel Notes 12/30/02

Family Time

Dot and I played with Charlie. First we played with his Fisher Price Little People. Those toys have changed a lot since I played with them. They are no longer small enough to swallow. I gave him the Little People Zoo for Christmas. He likes playing with all the sounds it makes. It seems like all toys make a lot of sounds now. It was cool to see Charlie have fun.

After that we played basketball with him. I know you are wondering how a two year old can play basketball. They have a Fisher Price grow with me basketball set. This is when he really started to warm up to me. After this we took a walk around the block. He let me push him in his tricycle and pick him up. Up to this point he was kind of skidish. It makes me wonder how involved in his life I would be if I still lived back there.

I spent most of the afternoon at Ruth's house. We had pizza for lunch. When Charlie went down for his nap, we worked on a scrapbook for Charlie. Alice said that the baby would not come until the scrapbook was done. It is just her way to motivate Ruth. It was a great way to spend a day.

While I was at Ruth's I talked with Sean on the Phone. I wish I had the chance to talk to him more often. He is in Germany and it is just hard to work out. I miss the closeness that we used to have.

Dinner with an old friend

I got a message that an old friend of mine would be in town. I have not seen Bill O'Neill since our ten year reunion. He is one of those people who I have been able to keep in touch with from time to time, but I would not say we are closest friends. It is funny because Bill is very much the person I would have expected him to become. His mannerisms and ideas are right in line with the person he was in high school.

We ended up having dinner at Perkins. It just seemed like the right place to go. I can still remember what booth we sat in the night we split three pots of coffee. It was good because we were able to hang out without having to go back to our pasts too often. There is something satisfying about that.

After that we went out for drinks, free wings, and Monday Night Football at the Horsham Inn. Bill and I went with Gerry Deckert and John Coyle. It was a whole night just swapping storied. It is amazing what you can learn about people you have known most or your life. It was cool because three of us were on vacation. We were not worrying about where we have to be tomorrow morning. We got to live in the moment. We ended up closing out the bar. I never close out bars when I am in San Jose.

Comments

Popular Posts