Soft Spots



Semisonic might define what it means to be a one hit wonder. I do not know anyone who heard anything after Strangely Feeling Fine. I am not sure anyone knows any of their songs other besides Closing Time. I know this is the kind of band people always make fun off.



I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this song. I first heard this song on my first visit to Portland. It was March of 1998. I visited Portland and Seattle to see if I could live in either of those cities. My experience in Tucson told me that I had to visit the place before I moved there. You cannot read about a place and find out if you will like it or not. There are so many small, but important things you do not know until you visit a place.



Closing Time was on the radio all the time when I was in Portland. It seemed that every time I got into my rental car this song was on. There was an intersection between trying to figure out where I was going to move and Closing Time. It made sense because I was getting ready to close up my life in Pennsylvania. I thought the song was telling me I had to know when to close things out. No one was going to do it for me.



Before you know a place you experience that place in a different way. That first visit to a city has a feeling that you never have again. I always want to hold on to that feeling. There is a magic and power to that feeling. This song gives me glimpses of how that feeling was in Portland.



Song: Closing Time



Band: Semisonic

Album: Feeling Strangely fine



Best Lyric:

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from

Comments

Popular Posts