Metaphors and Realities



For a long time I did not get Robyn Hitchcock. I would hear his songs and they would not impress me. They talked about his songs like their views of music were changed. I could not tell if I was missing something or if they were overblowing it.



I am not sure how it happened, but all of the sudden I was buying all of Robyn Hitchcock's back catalog. I was the person that was talking about his songs all the time. I was acting like my ideas about songwriting had been changed. I do not remember the moment it happened. I went from owning two of his CDs to owning fifteen of them.



My Wife and My Dead Wife is an example of the kind of song that only Robyn Hitchcock can write. Is the character in the song actually seeing his dead wife or is it only a metaphor? Is this something from his life or just an idea? It is loving and touching while being funny and sarcastic at the same time. Not many song writers can pull all these things off at the same time.



Song: My Wife and My Dead Wife



Artist: Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians

Album: Fegmania!



Best Lyric:

And I can't decide which one I love the most

The flesh and blood or the pale, smiling ghost

Comments

Popular Posts