Host Notes 11/21/2002

Showing off work

Gerry stopped by TiVo today after he finished up his business meeting. I like showing people where I work. I think it lets them know something about me. I talk about TiVo so much, I think visiting the building gives the place context.

Gerry ran into a guy he knew in college. Being a Carnegie Mellon graduate is a big part of Gerry's identity. I guess that is what happens when you go to an elite university. Listening to people talk about CMU makes me think that this happens to a lot of people. It just is a little odd to me. Small state universities do not have the same effect on people.

The Chamber of Secrets

Tonight Gerry and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie with some of his Objectivist friends. I do not agree with Objectivism, but these people seemed nice enough. I decided early to keep philosophy and ethical theory away from the conversation.

The two couples there both had kids. One woman was home schooling her seven year old. She was saying how he does not have any real structure. She thinks that he does better not having to stay to a schedule. I could tell the child had very little impulse control. I wonder if she is doing a disservice to her son by what she is doing right now. I guess only time will tell.

Comments

Popular Posts