Happy Sad Salvation Day

It is one year ago today, October 4, 2001, that I started Sad Salvation. I think it is important to mark anniversaries. I think they are something that connect us to time. Too often time passes faster then we can realize. We have to take these moments when we can.

I kept a journal for about seven years. For some of that time I would write two or three pages a day in my journal. I feel that Sad Salvation is an extension of that journal. It was the next step in evolution.

The journal was started as an assignment given by Greg Seigworth to his spring 1994 Cultural Crit class at Millersville Univ. He had said he had done this before with other classes he had taught at other schools. He read us an exert from the Douglas Coupland short story collection Life After God.

And if we were to collect these small moments in a notebook and save them over a period of months we would see certain trends emerge from our collection--certain voices would emerge that have been trying to speak though us. We would realize that we have been having another life altogether, one we didn’t ever know was going on inside us. And maybe this other life is more important than the one we think of as being real--this clunky day-to-day world of furniture and noise and metal. So just maybe it is these small silent moments which are the true story-making events of our lives.

This passage was in the forward to my journal. It really did say something about why I was writing back then. I wonder if this is still why I write or not. I wonder if it describes Sad Salvation or not.

Please use the comment box to give one prediction about the next year of my life. We can look then to see if any of them came true.

Comments

Popular Posts