Personal Music

For a long time Jeremy has been talking about the idea of taking responsibility for our own entertainment. Most of the things we see or hear has been produced, test-marketed, packaged, marketed, and sold to us. We are looking at other people as being experts at things like music and art. Just 100 years ago sheet music was the way music made it's way across the society. I think we are losing the creativity that we all should be using.

For a lot time I have been telling myself that I should relax and just create. I keep on thinking about Tom7 and his Crap-Art Movement. There are things that are worth doing for the doing, not for how it turns out in the end. It is an idea that I want to move closer to.

Last night Eric and I spent some time in his studio. We had this idea to buy some Karaoke CDs and play with them. The track would make a good bed. We could screw around with samples and sound effects. The idea was to create something strange and wonderful. For a long time I have been telling Eric about my Tom Waitsesque lyric styling. He wanted to put to the test. I had a lot of fun singing. I could tell that Eric was happy to try all the screwed up things in his studio.

My goal is to make a 12 song album of just karaoke covers. I think it is a cool thing to do. I know that lots of people would not be interested in hearing those recordings. I think it would be a good thing for my creative process. It is cool to be making something with my own voice.

There is a computer program that will let you make your own karaoke covers. I have not tried it yet, but it sounds like you can do a lot of cool things with it.

I will start posting songs once we get some done. What songs do you think I should sing?

Comments

Popular Posts