Longest Day Of the Year

Yesterday was the first day of summer, the longest day of the year. More sunlight then any other day we will see for a long time. A few years ago I started the practice of finding someplace to sit outdoors and drink everyday on the first day of summer. My goal is to sit down with a cold beer and watch the world go by.

For the second year in a row I did this all by myself. I tried to get one of my friends with a house to host me, but they all had plans. I could not get anyone to even came out with me. I feel bad that I had to do this by myself again. I have been developing friends in San Jose. I have been working hard to develop a life for myself here. I still had to go out by myself. This makes me a little sad.

Beer

So I went out and had a beer today. There is something about moments like this that almost all for beer. Sitting outside and drinking a soda is not the same thing. It sets the tone when I am sitting there. It is like I do not need any other reason then I am just drinking a beer.

I think about this because if I was Muslim, I would be forbidden from drinking. I do not know what is the right side of this idea. Is it better to have a beer or to not have it? Could I be happy for the rest of my life and not drink? How would moments like this change for me? These are all things I should think about.

Comments

Popular Posts